Borescope Replacement Parts
Borescopes are optical devices used to visually inspect parts or areas that are difficult to access directly, such as drain pipes, engines, or turbines. They consist of a relay tube—either rigid or flexible—with a visual display or eyepiece connected to a camera or objective lens.
During use, the components of a borescope experience wear, which eventually leads to fatigue and failure. When these occur, industry professionals may need to purchase and install replacement parts, such as cables, probes, cameras, displays, couplers, and light sources, to ensure proper and continued operation.
What Are Borescopes?
Borescopes are visual inspection and display systems used for the examination of remote areas where physical access is limited or would require disassembly of parts. A small camera or lens is at one end of a tube that is connected to a viewing eyepiece or display.
There are two main types of borescopes:
- Rigid borescopes. In rigid borescopes, the relay tube is not bendable, making the inspection device easier to use but less maneuverable. Typically lower in cost, they are more commonly employed due to their ease of use and superior image quality compared to flexible borescopes. However, they cannot be used in applications with curves or corners.
- Flexible borescopes. Flexible borescopes employ a flexible relay tube that enables free movement around curves and corners, allowing for closer inspection of an area. Flexible scopes may use optical systems with fiber optics to better illuminate dark areas. Although they offer greater versatility, they tend to be more expensive than rigid borescopes.
Borescope Replacement Parts
While basic borescopes have four parts—tube, eyepiece, light source, and lens—more robust options have additional parts that can be replaced as needed. For both basic and more sophisticated borescopes, common replacement parts include:
- Video borescope interchangeable probes. Often used on rigid borescopes, interchangeable probes may feature mirrors or magnets and are available in different lengths. They can also be waterproof for use in sewer and plumbing systems.
- Video couplers. Couplers permit the connection of a C-mount video camera to a borescope eyepiece.
- Videoscopes. Video borescopes allow for more control of the camera and different options for reviewing images.
- Fiber optic light guide cables. These cables come in different lengths and with different adapters for light sources.
- Monitors. These components allow users to view the camera output more easily.
- Light sources and bulbs. LED lights can easily illuminate dark areas for easier inspection. Metal halide bulbs are also available.
Borescopes find application in a variety of visual inspection operations, including for engines, automotive parts, turbines, and industrial parts. Nearly any time there is an area that cannot easily be inspected without dismantling parts, employing one can save time and money.
With bright light sources, borescopes are helpful tools that can highlight flaws, cracks, or other damage in a manufactured part. They are particularly valuable for non-destructive testing applications.
Why Is Optics Technology the Best Choice for Borescope Parts?
When you need replacement optical components for a borescope, we can provide custom precision components and assemblies that accurately meet your unique needs. Our fabrication capabilities allow us to produce small optical and optomechanical components with the following specifications:
- Precision component machining with tolerances of ± 0.0002″
- Use of CNC mills and lathes
- Prototype designs
- Testing samples
- Lead Times as fast as 2 weeks
- Reverse Engineering of Endoscope Components
At Optics Technology, Inc., we offer a comprehensive range of services, including:
- Optical design and fabrication
- Mechanical design and fabrication
- Rapid Prototyping
- Reverse Engineering
With these capabilities, we take our customers’ projects from design and prototype to full-scale production. Our customers come from a wide range of industries, including the aerospace, biomedical, industrial, medical, metrology, military, and research and development sectors.
To reach and inspect the most inaccessible areas, borescopes offer the most flexibility and convenience. With custom made products, you can create a borescope that perfectly fits the needs of your industry and application. Contact us or request a quote for more information on our custom borescope replacement parts.